Wednesday, September 19, 2012

SISTA


Have you read the newest biography on legendary American decorator Sister Parish?  
I have not finished it just yet, but I am certainly enjoying learning more about this creative powerhouse from a fascinating family and a truly unique background. I received a review copy from the publisher, Vendome Press, just in time to accompany me to a stint with jury duty. As I sat waiting for hours, tales told straight from Sister's daughter and grandaughter provided me with a unique perspective on this decorating doyenne's life and times and transported me from the crowded, fluorescent-lit room I was camped out in. 
Who better to fill you in on what truly made a person who they were than members of their own family?


I am a total sucker for family photos - as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and this book is chock-full of photographs that draw you in and visually illustrate the text and all the "characters" within. 


Although Sister decorated many grand spaces - including the Kennedy White House - it is rooms like these in her own Maine cottage that exemplify her trademark look and the homey and colorful flair she was known for. If you love design, history and a good biography, you are sure to enjoy this book!
Find it here

5 comments:

Karen in VA (was CT) said...

.. Yes, it's a great read. Glad to see it's been reissued. I read it years ago.

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I will definitely order that one from Amazon. The photo from the Maine cottage is beautiful!

MrsLittleJeans said...

Thank you Anne- i will check it out, I too love family photos. Have a great Wednesday! x

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

I am adding this to my list, Anne. I have the latest design book, and I have spent hours pouring over the beauty!
Thank you for sharing.
Happy Wednesday.
Teresa
xoxo

CDS said...

Wow, very pretty! Will have to check it out. Thanks for sharing. xoxo

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615