Monday, February 4, 2013

ARTIST'S PORTRAIT * CAROL GILLOT

Artist, Francophile and blogger Carol Gillot at work

Even before I first started blogging, I read about Carol Gillot and her charming watercolor paintings on Rita Konig's Domino blog. I have since been an ardent admirer of her work. She sells originals and prints of her work on her blog and in her Etsy shop. She also authors a charming blog that features all sorts of interesting photos and information on French life and culture from her frequent trips to Paris. Her posts are filled with fascinating tidbits of information, all imbued with her affection for the City of Lights. Today, she has taken the time to give us a peek into her own background and life.

Where were you born?
Abbington Hospital in Pennsylvania at 3 AM
What would you take if your house was burning down?
My favorite old black watercolor paintbox (it was my mother's), my favorite brushes and my passport.
Best childhood memory?
Going with the family for ice cream cones every Sunday and going by myself to the 5 &10 in Jenkintown to browse and comparison shop for my dollhouse.

Your favorite book?
"Life of Pi" by Yann Martel
If you could have only 1 last meal, what would you want on the menu?
Burnt marshmallows, popcorn, coffee ice cream, milk shake, caramel macarons from Laduree, a bacon sandwich and an apple.
Do you prefer hot weather or cold?
Cold weather always!
Favorite artists?
Wayne Thiebaud, Delacroix drawings, Steinberg.
Pet peeve?
People rustling candy wrappers in the theater
Favorite travel destination?
Paris of course, then Rio...
Favorite shop?
Fauchon, when it was open in New York- I used to go religiously every Sunday to worship.
Most visited links?
Laduree
What is the best thing about being an artist?
You get to paint 24/7. It's also the worst thing about being an artist - extreme focusing.
Thank you, Carol! Don't forget to visit her blog here.

31 comments:

pve design said...

Did she say bacon...save me a slice!

Alicia said...

I love Paris Breakfast its as fun as a Laduree box...you never know what sweet treat you'll get when you open her posts!!!
Kudos to her fabulous last meal too!!
Thank you for letting us get to know her more!!

vicki archer said...

Anne, I loved learning more about Carol - I am a big fan of her blog. xv

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

Great to see the face behind the blog Anne. Her Laduree watercolour is so lovely.

Beth Connolly said...

Anne-A really excellent interview.

Pigtown*Design said...

Huge fan of Carol's! She another great talent... like you!

Shandell's said...

It is wonderful to get to know the artist, thanks for the great interview.

parisbreakfast said...

WOWZA!
I'm overwhelmed
THANK YOU Anne so much :)
Kind regards,
Carolg

Averill said...

I love the Boston bulldogs in her paintings -- so cute. I'll be sure to check out her shop.

Karena said...

Anne, I loved the interview on Carol. Her illustrations are lovely and fun!

Sanity Fair said...

fun to read! I couldn't make up my own mind about half of these questions :)

Michelle said...

What a great blog...Ijust checked it out...one of my favorite cities...YUM

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Great interview. I love Carol's work & her spirit!

Christy said...

That was a great interview Anne! I love that she wears the authentic black and white stripe shirt which looks oh-so-French! Her work is great!

Ingrid Mida said...

You both are amazing artists!

Merisi said...

Lovely, merci! :-)

Where it not for Carol's encouragement, I would have stopped my blog years ago, nipped it right in the bud. She's one of the most generous people I have ever met, but being a great artist is what we all can see on her daily blogs. She is truly unique!

Good luck to both of you! :-)

Lara Harris said...

I love her work!I would love to have my pups go to Paris!:o)

Lori Lynn said...

That was fun! I am the proud owner of 6 of Carol's watercolors. They bring much joy and beauty to this old house.
LL

MrsLittleJeans said...

Nice to see you Carol..You are a lot of fun and very lovely!

MrsLittleJeans said...

Love you blog Carol, you are a lot of fun and so lovely!

sue said...

Carol's fabulous--you did a good job of drawing out her joie de vivre. Charming! I love your art as well!

Eric Raynard said...

Carol is so much fun. Loved her blog before my first trip to Paris. After the trip even more. Own one of her watercolors. Made a second trip a year later. Realized she captures the sensibility and spirit of Paris. And the luscious photos of the pastries. Read her blog every day to get started ... and dream of my next trip to France.

Jeannie Hanson said...

I have been enjoying Paris Breakfasts for a year now...even copied it with source code for my blog, Genos Garden. Not very frenchy...more farmy...irish farmy. So, here I arrive at your blog and find it utterly lovely. Thanks for creating it! Jeannie

... said...

Hi from Paris
I am happy to be in such a good company !

Fred the Mole

Easy fashion Paris

Bridget said...

I'm french and I always love to see Paris in Carol's eyes! We have many commons points!(macarons!!)

Di Overton said...

I know this woman and every word is true :)

DolceDreams said...

Elle est tres charmante!
Nathalie

Lila said...

They're so cute! She really captures the sweetness and quaintness of Paris!
xoxo
Lila Ferraro

Unknown said...

So fabulous...great interview, new to her work, thanks for the intro!

Sanity Fair said...

Her paintings are so darling! A touch Madeline, no? What a great interview, and I'm so excited to discover her work. Thanks Anne!
-SF

Holly Phillips @ The English Room said...

Precious works. Thank you for the tip!
xoxo-

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615