Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ARTIST'S PORTRAIT * MOLLY WORTH

The lovely Molly Worth of Chairloom


The logo I created for Molly


Some of Molly's pieces "before" transformation. Molly will work with a client to customize these vintage pieces - just "adopt" one and watch her work her magic! She is offering a special discount to Annechovie readers, so be sure mention you read about her here if you contact her.


This is another retro pair currently available for adoption and makeover.


I could see both of these becoming beautiful with Molly's expert touch - good bones.


The Bee's Nest, a charming boutique in the Philadelphia area. This is where Molly works and sells her chairs.


Molly's charming living room with a beautiful pair of bamboo chairs.


In the family room, the focal point is the antique daybed inherited from Molly's husband's grandmother.

Here is the follow-up interview, as promised, with the talented and gracious Molly Worth of Chairloom. Her stellar work has been featured recently in major press articles by Daily Candy and The New York Times.


Where were you born?
Washington, DC....but grew up in Michigan. High school in Rhode Island & college in Connecticut. Post college in NYC.


What is your artistic background schooling (if any)?
None. I am a Religion major & have an Applied Psychology Master's degree.

Have you always been creative and, if so, do you have an early memory of "making" something?
As a child, I remember trying to "impress" my older cousins when they were visiting by rearranging my room & setting it up in such a way that my "things" were on display. I would put the books upright on my bureau and "show" my room like it was a store. I'm aftraid to say that I don't think I impressed anyone.

I have taught at the lower and mostly middle school levels. Teaching is very creative.

What inspires you most creatively and gets your creative juices flowing?
I love "the hunt" in terms of finding the diamond in the rough. Also, it is exciting for me to then think about the 'right" fabric for the piece. I like to use new, fresh fabrics such as Hable Construction, Virginia Johnson, Rubie Green, Oliveira Textiles or Sea Cloth. My passion is about creating the ONE OF A KIND piece that brings the WOW factor to a room or home. A chair, couch, ottoman, etc. can make a room & pack a punch that gives the owner (and his or her friends) a lift or boost that only good art can.


What are some of your favorite things or things that are essential to your success/well-being as a person and artist/business owner?
Some of the things that are essential would be (the obvious first) family & friends as well as spiritual need and curiosity that leads me to seek God.

As far as favorite things (which suggests something material) I would list:
coffee with milk & sugar!
color
peace & quiet
hanging out with my sisters in Maine
visiting a best friend in Venice, Ca whom I speak with daily!!
music (Martin Sexton, The Grateful Dead are two favorites)
walking somewhat aimlessly in NYC neighborhoods like the East Village, Nolita or the West Village.

Where would you live if you could live anywhere?
Seattle , Washington with frequent trips to The San Juan Islands

What are the most challenging things for you about doing what you do? Finding buyers. Making money is a driving force at this point. I would like to find store owners around the US to sell my chairs. I might like to have a "green" line of new chairs.......


Where do you live and work?
I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia with my husband, son, daughter, chocolate lab & yorkie. (naughty, naughty dogs)


Favorite food?
Indian

Molly is an excellent person to work with - both very talented AND very affable. As I said earlier, she is graciously offering a discount to Annechovie readers, so what are you waiting for? I would love to see one of my readers adopt one of Molly's diamonds in the rough and then post the before and after on Annechovie. Also, any shop owners out there would be smart to feature some Chairloom pieces in your store! Check out Molly's website here.

6 comments:

Alkemie said...

Anne,

Thank you SOOO much for doing this interview! I stumbled on Molly's website the other day and just Adore it! I also have a passion for remaking old pieces as well and so I love to hear about others who do the same.

Karen

pve design said...

Love my new, I mean old wrought iron chairs that I purchased from Molly - cushions are made of oil cloth. She was great to work with and her husband even delivered them. She is quick and has tons of style. Wishing Molly much success and thank-you Anne for the intro!

annechovie said...

Karen, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I know you have completed some amazing furniture transformations also - you have great style and I am eager for your shop to open!

annechovie said...

Hi Patricia! Yes, I know anyone who works with Molly will be thrilled. So glad I could make the intro for two exceptional women!

Courtney said...

I heart all chairs...especially Molly's. Wish I knew how to reupholster like that...I'd be unstoppable. :-)

annechovie said...

Yes, Courtney. Wouldn't it be great to have that talent/skill?

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615