Friday, September 19, 2008

SANIBEL ISLAND BIRTHDAY

A sampling of some of the beautiful shells native to Sanibel

Lighthouse Point Beach (Dans Photo Art- Flickr)

I spent my birthday on beautiful Sanibel Island, located on Florida's Gulf Coast. It's a place that feels like it's far more than a mile or two offshore. It's home to great natural beauty and known worldwide for its sea shells. Shell seekers from around the country and all over the globe come to comb the beaches and enjoy the small-town charm and slower pace of this beautiful island. Some of these photos were ones I took and others are courtesy of my friends on Flickr. I just wanted to showcase the diverse beauty and some of these shots I wasn't able to get myself. Thanks to so many of you, especially Patricia van Essche, for your kind birthday wishes and thoughtfulness! You made my day!

Beautiful local bougainvillea in one of my favorite colors - cerise. (Saul Zackson-Flickr)

A majestic native bird - the Roseate Spoonbill (JMI Images)

Can't help liking a place that has such appealing names for their roads, like "Periwinkle Way"!

A unique little indoor-outdoor eatery we tried, The Island Cow.

Approaching the causeway that links the island to the mainland

Newspaper anyone? (Nazcreative - Flickr)

Sanibel Pier at Sunset (Swantho - Flickr)

Palms against the sunset (ARKramer - Flickr)

21 comments:

MIMILEE said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ANNE!!! SORRY THIS IS BELATED BUT JUST READ ABOUT IT TODAY......LOVE THE PICS FROM SANIBEL! SO LOVELY THERE! HUBBY AND I NEED TO PLAN A TRIP THERE FOR SOME R&R!!

AGAIN HAPPY, HAPPY!!

XOXO..MIMILEE<><

Topsy Turvy said...

I love Sanibel! It's so close yet seems so far away. Lucky you, and happy birthday!

-Lana

annechovie said...

Mimilee~
Thank you! Very kind of you and you would throroughly enjoy Sanibel AND Captiva!

Hello Lana,
Thanks so much. You hit the nail on the head - it does seem far away there. Have a great weekend!

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i can't think of a better place to spend a birthday. i love the slow pace of the island, it seems so tranquil with vibrant colors and cute streets.

annechovie said...

Hi Emily~
Yes, it was very nice. I hope you have a great weekend!

Fifi Flowers said...

BEAUTIFUL place to spend your birthday... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Photos are great!
ENJOY your weekend and keep celebrating!

pve design said...

Aw, all the more reason to come and visit....nice people deserve nice birthdays in nice spots!

cotedetexas said...

happy happy!

sorry I missed it.
Ben and I have wanted to go shelling there forever. One day soon!

That pink bird!!!!

Joni

annechovie said...

Thank you, Laura!I hope you have a great weekend!

Patricia~ Thank you! Have a great weekend!

Hi Joni,
Thank you! You and Ben would enjoy Sanibel. Have a great weekend!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Lovely birthday spot! Guess I never realized you are in Florida!

Happy Day!

annechovie said...

Thank you, Linda! Hope you have a great weekend!

hello gorgeous said...

I love Sanibel - it's so dreamy. The shelling there totally spoiled me for the beaches out east.

Happy Birthday!

annechovie said...

Hello, Hello Gorgeous! Yes, Sanibel is totally unique and the beach is great for shelling, just not bare feet - ouch!

la la Lovely said...

sounds like it was a lovely birthday. I love Sanibel. I haven't been since I was little girl but I would love to visit again!

annechovie said...

Hello Trina! Yes, it was nice. You should come again and we could meet up if you get to FL also! Would love to meet you!

Brilliant Asylum said...

My mom and I road tripped to Sanibel (all the way from Atlanta) when I was in high school. I still have fond memories of that trip and would love to go back (though I think I will fly this time).

annechovie said...

Hello Brilliant! Yes, it's a looong way from Atlanta!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! Sanibel just made my places-to-travel list. Thanks for sharing such beautiful photos. Happy Bday!

annechovie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Life in the Cove!

Porchlight Interiors said...

better late than never, Happy Birthday, looks like a perfect place to spend a birthday. I hope to visit someday. Hayley

annechovie said...

Thank you, Hayley! Have a great week!

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615