Wednesday, February 17, 2010

ARTIST'S PORTRAIT * CARLENE HELBLE

Artist and shopowner Carlene Helble

Where were you born?
I've been a northern Virginia girl my whole life!


What would you take if your house was burning down?
If my house was burning down I would be too concerned making sure my family and animals were safe. Material items can be replaced. If I had to pick something it would be my Levenger leather agenda. Sometimes I feel like my whole life is in that little thing!

Your favorite book?
My favorite book is "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. I am actually a junior in college studying to be a dietitian, so I related to what the author was saying very easily. I have to say though, I also love the imagery and setting of "The Great Gatsby". Classic.

If you could have only 1 last meal, what would you want on the menu?
Can it be a buffet? I would have salmon,fried pickles, macaroni and cheese, and ice cream sandwiches...Although I don't think they would taste good together unless you happen to be pregnant.


Do you prefer hot weather or cold?

I'm torn! Hot weather means you get to wear sandals and have outdoor parties but your hair gets poofy...cold means you get to layer gorgeous knits but your hair gets static-y. Temperate it is!

Favorite artists?
Absolutely Monet. I'm lucky enough to live near the National Art Gallery, so when I get the chance to go I could literally spend hours in the Monet room. No one can blend colors like he did!

Pet peeve?
My biggest pet peeve are 'one-uppers': people who aren't really listening to what you are saying but are formulating in their head how to one up your story. Play nice and listen to the person you are with!


Best childhood memory?

My Dad used to set up miniature golf courses throughout our house and we would all putt. They even cut the clubs down to little kid size for me and my two siblings (Grayson and Saige are their middle names).

Favorite travel destination?
St. Thomas, U.S.V.I is amazing. The weather is beautiful, the scenery gorgeous, and the island time hilarious. It always takes me a while to slow down and not be so schedule oriented when we go. Dinner can take several hours!



Favorite shop?

For clothes: J Crew
For home decor: Really Great Finds, which is a local antique store.
Food:Wegmans, the only place you can buy a 30 pound wheel of cheese!

Most visited links?
My google reader page for blogs, Lonny Magazine, Etsy, Twitter, and Pottery Barn.com!

What is, to you, the best thing about being an artist?
You decide how things should look! I have an inspiration board over my desk where I hang anything that strikes me. I get to look at these things and decide what aspects to make into products.


This polka-dotted crayfish is my favorite piece in Carlene's shop, Grayson Saige.  The whimsical quality puts a smile on my face. I want to thank Carlene for sharing some of her work and a little bit more about herself. If you haven't already, take a few minutes and check out her shop here.

18 comments:

Karena said...

Wonderful profile! Carlene is very fun and talented!
Karena

MrsLittleJeans said...

What a fun interview Anne, and tomorrow I will check out her shop! Goodnight!

xo

Debra said...

Wonderful things here. You are always sharing your fabulous finds with us. Carlene is loving- now I'm off to check out her shop.

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Thanks Anne for the intoduction to an artist who is in my own backyard! Someone who shares one of my pet-peeves and loves St. Thomas (destination place of my honeymoon and an anniversary vacation) how can I not be endeared to her...and what lovely, whimsical objects she creates!

Joyce said...

A very sweet post. I like how she brings new life to the treasures from the beach. xo

Christy said...

What a great interview and I love that they played mini golf in their house! I'm a fellow northern virginia girl - and I can't wait to check out her site!

Marija said...

This was a great interview. The questions were as interesting as her answers! Terrific! Marija

Katherine said...

her stuff is really pretty - i love the gold stuff - it'd be neat decoration. i have a "sea shack" room as we call it in my house this stuff would look perfect in (it's because i painted the wood paneling without sanding /priming it first and it looked like a cool effect - and it was because i was lazy)

- said...

Thank you for the support everyone! I had such a great time with this interview!

pve design said...

I spotted her work and thought of you! Fun colors and zippy ideas.
pve

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Oh - she recently commented on Style Key West and I saw her Etsy shop. Love the preppy colors - so cute. But I also really love those gold anemones.

Jo said...

What a great interview ~ her shop is fabulous. Thanks for the introduction.

Jo

Megan said...

Thanks for this look behind the scenes; Carlene is one of the nicest people I've connected with in blog-land and this feature was so fun to read!

CDS said...

that was such a fun read! thanks for sharing.

La Dolfina said...

I love her and love her stuff. I want each and every item you've showcased!
Carlene, if you are reading this... how much for all of it?
Seriously, I'm in love with your preppy take on shells and crustaceans. Awesome!!!
And, I'm serious :)

Unknown said...

Love those starfish. I feel like those are not native to where that picture was taken! And speaking of pictures, that pic from the beach in south floria, oh god I wish I could be there now. I'm freezing my tootsies off in NY and I would love to bathing suited and beach side. The picture will have to work for now, so thank you for that =).

urban flea said...

such lovely images, especially the gold vessels. so great! hope you're having a wonderful week my dear!

xo urban flea :)
http://www.urbanfleadesign.net

Susan Dench said...

What a fun interview, Anne!

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615