Monday, July 12, 2010

SCULPTURE TO BURN


I like candles, but there are so many out there in ghastly colors and too-heavy scents, that sometimes they get a bad rap. I am thinking of a particular store commonly found in US shopping malls.....I literally have to hold my breath when passing by! The "fragrances" are bad enough on their own, but you get about 40 of them mingling in competition in one store and a person could literally die of affixiation or nausea...or both.  Having said all that, I recently spotted these two pieces of what I call "good wax" and loved their classic sculptural quality. The candle above is lit from behind on an angle, so that the melting wax pours through the eyes, perhaps a bit melancholy....but still kind of cool, I think.



Marie Antoinette is immortalized here in wax effigy - perfect for the Francophile and a nice touch, even if her eyes don't "cry". Plus, she's a good bit less expensive than the first lady. Which would you choose?

10 comments:

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, these are neat! Never seen them before...I completely agree with the "too much fragrance" in some candles (and stores)!

La Petite Gallery said...

Very pretty. I likie..

yvonne

Renae Moore said...

I know what you mean about candle stores...I'm with you taking a deep breath while passing by!
Of these I would choose Marie Antoinette!
Stay cool Girl!
xo

Jen of MadeByGirl said...

I wonder if i would ever want to light it....so cute.

www.madebygirl.com
madebygirl.blogspot.com

kitchen table said...

I also think that of that. I know that candles can be a good material for sculpture. I never thought that it is going to be that beautiful.

Francine Gardner said...

I received a very beautiful sculpted Buddha as a candle, which I place on my bathtub......can't possibly think of lighting it though...and see the effigy of Buddha melt away.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh Anne,
I know exactly what you mean about those heavy fragrances. We have a similar shop here in the UK and it makes me feel quite sick when I walk by !! I have never seen those 'bust' candles......they are really good nut I don't think that I could bring myself to light them as I wouldn't want them to melt....they are too nice !! XXXX

Pemberley said...

I too hate those candle stores! I like Marie, but I wouldn't want to burn her.

Diana Mieczan said...

I never seen them before but there are so pretty.....Such a cute idea! Kisses,sweetie and have a wonderful day!

Brittany said...

Wow, those are so beautiful, and I love Marie Antoinette. What great finds!

-Dilley Dalley

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615