Monday, November 12, 2012

ARE YOU A HIPSTER?


I recently read an article online (where else?) decrying the proliferance of "hipster" living and listing the items in your home that could either make or break your hipster status . I find this kind of lifestyle/cultural trivia mildly entertaining and so I had to see for myself which furnishings the writer considered "hipster" worthy. The premise of the article was to state that folks are actually becoming more and more homogenized, despite their best attempts to stand apart from the crowd with their style and eclectic tastes. It was actually kind of enlightening. The long and short of it is that I discovered that I am definitely not a hipster at present, but if I could acquire a coveted piece such as, say, a ghost chair which you can view here , my status could be instantly transformed. Actually, I really do like ghost chairs, even if you seem them everywhere now. Another option for aspiring hipsters is to hang decorative antlers, buy an overdyed rug or use skateboards as a wall decoration instead of a means of transportation. Hmmm.....what do you think??  
Any decor elements that scream "hipster" to you or some you'd even like to incorporate for yourself? Do tell!

7 comments:

pve design said...

I was seated at a local meeting last week and the man next to me inquired about someone on the board, He asked me, "And what's his story, is he just trying to be a hipster" and there is a part of that, a part of hipster that looks a bit too contrived" - that said, I do love certain items that transform something from stodgy to fresh. Converse sneakers, A swordfish hung on a wall, antlers, anchors, surf boards, or something as simple as a college poster reframed in lucite.
pve

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

I would love to have a ghost chair in my vanity area! I'm not certain what my style is now, but my best guess would be eclectic.
Happy Monda, Anne..
Teresa
xoxo

Allison Taylor said...

That article sounds really interesting. It's true, hipsters are striving to be different but in reality it's one style so it's not so unique after all. I fall for velvet couches (which are pretty hipster these days) but I'm not willing to pay 1,000 bucks for one : )

Hena Tayeb said...

lol.. i could see myself buying a ghost chair but doubt I'll be incorporating skateboards as decor

therelishedroost said...

Well I did use antlers , but in a lake house..does that count? LOL I do like the Ghost chair always have.
Karolyn

Holly Phillips @ The English Room said...

Funny timing...My 6 year old daughter, Gigi, pointed out the "ghost chairs" by name on Saturday as we strolled through Neiman Marcus. I had the thought that they are everywhere now and crazy that she knows that. I do still like them and have a set at a rustic bark game take in my mountain house because I love the juxtaposition. However, I do agree there is not a Lonny or Rue without one these days.

Holly Phillips @ The English Room

Katherine said...

i ended up creating a chair similar to the ghost chair (simply because it was made from acrylic) in college as part of a series of chairs. i don't think it transformed much of me. you can see if here if you're curious. http://kitkatherine.com/images/full/pop7.jpg

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615