Monday, May 13, 2013

ARTIST'S PORTRAIT * JILL ROSENWALD



Jill Rosenwald is a name that's synonymous with stylish ceramics and fabulous indie art. Like many of you, the first time I spotted Jill's work, it was a case of instant attraction. Since then, I've been seeing her work everywhere as this Boston-based artist, entrepreneur, wife and mother brightens up the design scene with her trademark style.  She has graciously accepted my invitation to answer a few of my nosy questions so we can get a little better acquainted with her and the woman behind the design.

Where were you born?
New York, NY..94th street...my hood. 

 
What would you take if your house was burning down? 
My kids..and my husband. 
 
Your favorite book? 
Too hard of a question..very tempting to say a book that will make everyone think I am super intellectual..like Proust..or James Joyce! But I love many books..one of my fave writers has got to be William Styron..I adore his books. Confessions of Nat Turner comes to mind..and I just read a book by Richard Russo that was great..Bridge of Sighs. Sad, but a great read. 
 
If you could have only 1 last meal, what would you want on the menu? 
These questions are too tough..I don't have true favorites, as I love so many foods. I do know chocolate is on this menu though..for sure a brownie ice cream sundae..and maybe sushi..oh i love me some sushi. Favorite menus have a lot to do with who is doing the cooking - I love the food of Ken Oringer here in Boston....his food is fantasmic.

Do you prefer hot weather or cold? 
My perfect day is bright and breezy in the 70's..or 80 at the beach for some boogie boarding..I know..right?

Favorite artists? 
Oy with the favorite queries..ummmm..Tara Donovan comes to mind..and Rhianna. 

Pet peeve? 
That phone thing..where you say "Hello..Jill Rosenwald" and the person on the other end of the phone is on the job..and can't remember who they called ..so even though you've already said who you are..there is that nasty pause..and then they repeat your name and ask "May I speak to Ms. Rosenwald?"! Ouch ..now that is bad.

Best childhood memory? 
Gosh. playing touch football in the park with my dad and my brother..that's one. Reading Frances Hodgson 
Burnett with my mother. I also remember some fun ski trips..but those are long stories!



Favorite travel destination?
 It-ly. Definitely. 

Favorite shop? 
Nanette Lepore's shop in Boston. I feel like a queen in there.

Most visited links? 
I am embarrassed to say that I spend time on my own links -working on my website, my blog, my facebook..jeez. Others that I like are Pandora, Elements of Style blog..the e list...My Favorite and My Best..the blog.

What is, to you, the best thing about being an artist?
 
Another embarrassing admission which I do share is that 
I get happy making other people happy. When they tell me how much they appreciate and love what we 
do - that is the biggest rush!

Thank you Jill!! Be sure to check out Jill's amazing website, etsy shop and blog!

*re-posted from 4/25/11**

23 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Beautiful works!! Thanks for spotlighting Jill:)

Sydney Steenland said...

Thanks for that post, I enjoy the interviews.
Sarah

Atelier de Chiqui said...

Thanks very much for this post, i like your original question!!!
Have a nice week Anne!

pve design said...

Her blog is so fun and I remember saving an article on her that was in a mag. Love to have a utensil holder for my kitchen! Love her happy work!
pve

Nelle Somerville said...

I've seen her ceramics just down the street at Avenue Antiques in Hampden. Jill's works are so joyful! Thanks for the wonderful interview.

jill rosenwald said...

hi there anne!
love how this looks on your page. thank you so much for this fun opportunity! jill

JMW said...

Great interview! Love her work - that lamp is fabulous!

Unknown said...

Oh, so excited to see this interview. Love, love, love Jill's work. I first saw them in House Beautiful and then in Pimplico in New Canaan. I can't decide which color I want....I think I just need to take the plunge.

Fabulous interview!
xo elizabeth

MrsLittleJeans said...

love her work...great seeing you Anne! You are too sweet to visit us regularly and we love it! xoxo

Keren - The Brown Trading Co. said...

Gorgeous ceramics -thanks for the insight :o)

Keren
xx

Barbara Jordan Dettweiler said...

I love her work so this was fun to read! I didn't know she had a blog so going to check that out now!
http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

quintessence said...

Love her cheerful graphic ceramics!! Lovely to learn more about her!

Steph @ Professors_Wife said...

Cool, girl! I love this lady! I'm heading to her blog now :)

Lila said...

I love all of her pieces! I totally agree with her on the weather. I'm just praying for a warm day...
xoxo
lila Ferraro

DolceDreams said...

You always find the best artists Anne! Her work is beautiful and I have jumped around to her blog and shop...
I hope that you had a wonderful Easter and wish you a fabulous week ahead,
Nathalie

designchic said...

Great interview...can't wait to check her site!!

Amy Vermillion Interiors said...

Great post Anne!
Her work is fantastic. I agree with her…I'd take my husband, my child and my dog. I'd definitely leave my cell phone in the fire :)
Happy Tuesday,
Amy

Kate Coveny Hood said...

She's lovely. Beautiful work - and anyone who counts Frances Hodgson as a cherished childhood memory is a soul mate in my book. Great interview!

The French Tangerine said...

love these ceramics! I actually found her on Boxwood Terrace first... then skipped over to your interview - love it! Of course, I'm in love with the tangerine color...

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Great work! Love the post and love following your blog!
Jamie Herzlinger

Ann said...

Wonderful interview
and her creations are beautiful.

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

I adore her work! I am going to have to treat myself to a piece soon.
Happy Wednesday.
Teresa
coco

Karena said...

Anne, Jill is so superb in her works! Quite an inspiration!! I always love these Artists Features!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615