Monday, January 7, 2008

GONE TO THE DOGS.....PART 1


"Georgie"

I just wanted to let you know that I have now ventured into the world of pet portraiture. I know you've all been waiting on pins and needles to hear this. Not!! (did I really just use that beyond stale term?) Yes, I know. I, too, have heard the proverbial jokes and defamatory jibes applied to the "desperate" artists who resort to painting pets. Truth is, pets are a big part of people's lives and sometimes loved even more than humans (especially here in Florida). The illustrious artist George Stubbs certainly didn't think animals too lowly a subject!

I'll be honest with you, I don't have any pets. My olfactory is far too sensitive and I have allergies to pet hair and dander. I am the type of person who sneezes, on average, about 5- 7 times in a row (yeah, I know - fun!). Now, I have known some people with such dirty and vile smelling animals that keeping my food down when I was around them posed quite a challenge (the animals, not the people -well, mostly the animals). I can tell you that experiences like that are not ones your senses quickly forget and furthermore don't help any to get me on the pet bandwagon with the majority. However, I do have my moments when I see people like Patricia Gray and her adorable little Yorkie, Nicole, and a wave of pet-envy sweeps over me. Then there is my fellow blogger and friend, Joni Webb of Cote de Texas, who has two dogs, Sammie and Georgie, that are adored by her family. I can't imagine that she lets them get gross. I can see it.... a furry, loyal and adoring creature who guilelessly looks forward to nothing more than waiting for you to come home (besides being fed, maybe). I recently had the honor of immortalizing Joni's dogs in gouache from photos. I am now looking for some new subjects, so please don't be shy and feel free to contact me about painting your favorite little (or big) furry friend or giving a pet portrait for a special occasion.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhh!!!! Too cute the painting you have done of Georgie!!!! Not all dogs smell, my little Nicole tends to smell like my perfume, because I carry her around so much. for someone that doesn't have any pets you sure have done a good job of capturing Georgie. Joni must be thrilled.

cotedetexas said...

Gosh, what a cute dog!!! Can I adopt her - does she need a good home? awwwwwww - isn't she darling? and yes - she doesn't smell!!! Except, of course, for when she has gas (which is often) - she can clear a room out, heck, she can clear a house out I tell you. No, Anne, your olfactory is way too sensitive to be around Georgie! Good thing you work by picture and not real life sitting.

You did a great job on our dogs, they look fabulous in their paintings. Thanks again!

JOni

annechovie said...

Patricia and Joni~
See, I knew neither of you would have smelly dogs! Your dogs are so cute and I can clearly see why you love them so much. and Joni, my grandparents dog, Bootsie,(God rest her soul- LOL) used to have horrendous gas, so I know exactly what you are talking about. Yikes! Yes, good thing I work from photos.Thanks to you both!

The Peak of Chic said...

Awww- I love your painting! Of course, I'm partial to Springers as I grew up with them. I wish I had a puppy for you to paint!

annechovie said...

Thank you, Jennifer! I would love to paint your puppy if you had one!

girl meets glamour said...

OMG!!! What a cute pup and a great idea...a know a mini dachshund that would love to have a portrait of herself :)

~Kate

annechovie said...

HI Kate!
Please tell Miss Mini Dachshund to email me and we will immortalize her.

pve design said...

Anne,
Love your dog done pet portrait.
- When I met my husband and we were dating, he said,"If my dog likes you, you are in the family!" Dogs have a way of completing the family and adding another dimension!
Smells and all!
Like you, I am sensitive too, so I try to keep our dog clean and smelling nice!

pve design said...

This comment is really for "Georgie" -, tell your Master please feed you a bit of "low residue" dog food which will cure the gas factor! How's that for a gas! :)

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful idea. People sure love their pets! We have a Westie who would look adorable in a portrait. He is getting older so I understand the issues with smellyness. He has his issues (sorry Winston to reveal this over the internet!).

We found a drawing of a Westie which we have hanging in our house, you'd swear it was him! But to have one of the real Winston, that would be special. I will have to keep that idea in mind, sounds like the best gift!

Enjoy immortalizing those cute fluffy faces!

xo
Melissa

annechovie said...

Happy New Year, Melissa!
As always, thanks for your kind words. I think Westies are one of the cutest breeds and Winston is a great name for a dog.

laissezfaire said...

This is too cute. I looove it!!

Irene Toohey said...

Your work is beautiful! I was connected to your site through my friends, Erin at Elements of Style. What is your email address? When I click contact me it sends me to outlook which I don't use. I would love to hear some prices for pet portraits! They are amazing!

Irene Toohey

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615