Wednesday, June 30, 2010

MY PLANT OBSESSION


My Desert Rose in the pink pot (currently on hiatus from blooming)



My Collection of miniature braided ficus trees and a few succulents/cacti


My heirloom tomato plant at over 6 ft tall now - unfortunately, the tomatoes on it are still so small that they don't show up in the photo (we're talking half of a thimble here)

When I was a kid, my parents used to plant a garden in our backyard in the city. I relished the experience of planting seeds, watching them grow and, the best part, harvesting fresh tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, etc. This was supplemented with regular marathon trips to all of the local nurseries where my 2 brothers and I roamed freely amongst the damp, gravely pathways, practically bathed in every fountain we could find and got into plenty of mischief. I am sure the nursery employees cringed when they saw us emerging from our Country Squire station wagon. Chasing each other with garden carts while we laughed until we wheezed was the part we enjoyed the most. A trip to the nursery wasn't complete without one of us sustaining some sort of minor injury. Lesson learned : it's always a good idea to wear some sort of steel-toed footwear when you are riding rusty old shopping carts with lame wheels through gravel paths at breakneck speeds.
Somewhere along the way, perhaps by sheer osmosis, I caught the gardening bug and am now obsessed with plants of all sorts and growing roses and anything edible. I am a full-blown gardening nerd and have even been know to talk to my little green friends - Prince Charles and I would probably have a lot in common.
 I have limited space, so I must choose my plants carefully, but that doesn't stop me from my indulging my passion. Recently, I decided to add a few succulents to my small ficus collection.  I found some great (and CHEAP!) textured white pots at IKEA along with a braided Desert Rose that caught my eye. I know the pink pot is the one "off" piece, but I couldn't resist, since the color really grabbed me. It reminds me of that feature on Sesame Street where they used to sing "one of these kids is doing their own thing" and you would look to see which kid in the square didn't "fit". Remember that? Maybe not? Anyway, I digress, as usual.....
what do you like to grow?

18 comments:

Averill said...

I love the desert rose in the pink pot! And I can't believe how big your tomato plant is...I've never managed to keep one alive! And on that note, I'll admit that I've got a terrible black thumb and I'm best off leaving plants to my husband. We've got a beautiful peachy rose bush out front right now that's thriving so much I'm loathe to touch it lest I kill it!

Mariska Meijers said...

You must have such patience! I am totally useless when it comes to gardening. This city girl is grateful to have just a balcony with some french geraniums (which I juggle to keep alive)

Sarah B said...

I too have memories of running around nurseries with my sister when we were little and I definitely caught the green thumb off both of my parents :)
Your tomato is looking fantastic -isn't vegie growing so satisfying?
Personally I'm partial to roses and other old-fashioned plants as well as vegies.
ps love the pink pot!

vicki archer said...

I love to grow anything Anne....Love plants of all varieties and am totally mad about the garden. That plaited stem is fabulous...that is one I haven't seen, xv.

pve design said...

My son brought home the loveliest "oleander" tree which I shall show you soon....it has the pinkest blossoms and is known as the desert rose!
We have herbs, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers, and lots of flowers growing here.
pve

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I loved hearing you reminisce! I do love plants, but am quite bad about remembering to water..so all low maintence for me!

A Flair for Vintage Decor said...

Oh, I wish I was good at gardening...but I am not! I have to pick flowers/plants that don't need too much attention!! I love that pink pot!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

"One of these things is not like the others..." Yeah - I know that one.

You would have a great time hanging out with my Dad in his garden. That's always been a passion of his. When we moved to Capitol Hill they made sure that the plans for the townhouse being renovated included a greenhouse on the roof. I think the Key West yard is a bit more convenient though...

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I will try to grow anything although not always successful, especially with house plants. But I love gardening & digging in the soil. For me, so very therapeutic. I love Ikea for pots and plants too. So many great outdoor pots to drive me wild.

So from one gardening nerd to another..dig away!

Christy said...

I've got a brown thumb. Or black. I would love to have a garden - a potted garden - one day. Right now Matt is our gardener and even he forgets to water the plants more often than not. These two little people we're in charge of are very time-consuming! ha! That pink pot is my favorite and I love it in that ensemble!

Unknown said...

I think the pink pot is perfect, I really do :)
I am making myself crazy with orchids that are just leaves.. no flowers, ever. But they're still alive.... xx

Beach House Living said...

I like succulents, callas and roses. Orchids too sometimes they last for so long and bloom again other times poof they are gone but I like them anyway.

Hello Lover... said...

Love the desert rose and I love those braided branches! I am currently growing hydrangea on my back porch. I've tried orchids but the truth is that I just don't have the patience to wait so long for another bloom!

A Refocused Life said...

My indoor gardening consists of one little ivy plant beside my kitchen window. My therapy from gardening comes from digging and watering. My methods for both are no where near being appropriate for inside.

La Petite Gallery said...

Don't worry about your tomato plane , mine are not growing very much, in Maine. yvonne

lisaroy said...

My family was never into gardening but I've always wanted to grow veggies, especially heirloom tomatoes too! But with our transient life moving every couple of years, it's been too difficult to keep any type of garden. So I just treat myself to fresh flowers instead. :)

Diana Mieczan said...

I adore plants too but I am not too good with taking care of them...Have a wonderful day my darling:) See you soon

Renae Moore said...

Anne...love your plants! I am not very good at growing things in the house, so I don't do many.
Happy 4th!
xo

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615