Wednesday, September 21, 2011

MORE ROOT VEG MANIA


I am now officially on a root vegetable kick! I promise this is my last post on root veggies for a long time. Thanks to everyone who left a comment or recipe last week - you inspired me!
I tried roasting beets for the first time and all I can say is that it certainly won't be the last.
These vibrant little jewels are amazing, especially garnished with a little goat cheese. Prep is a cinch - all you do is trim the ends, wash well and throw them in a small baking dish with some olive or vegetable oil (light coating) and a little salt and pepper. Bake for about 1 hour at 350 or until beets can be cut through center with knife and no elbow grease. Truly amazing. But, the fun doesn't stop there.......


After trimming off the beet greens, I washed them thoroughly and then chopped them roughly, adding them to a little vegetable oil and garlic I had going over medium heat in a pan when the beets had approx. 10 minutes left to cook. 


Add some kosher salt or sea salt flakes and some freshly ground pepper while gently flipping in the pan and you've got a treat that is definitely addictive! I decided to go with a little sprinkling of goat cheese with the greens as well - yum. Would you try these? 

15 comments:

Annie Loveridge Interiors said...

It's late afternoon here in Auckland and that's looking delicious! I LOVE beetroot and we make a salad of roasted beets with a dressing of olive oil, balsamic and wholegrain mustard and then top (I heap) goats' cheese or feta. YUM! Will take your advice on the salad greens as they look good. Thank you! Annie x.

Kirsten Steen said...

Love beets and their greens! Even like the greens sprinkled with a little German vinegar. Thanks for all these fun root veg ideas and recipes. Still can't wait to try the radishes!
K.

Designs by M said...

You've inspired me to try this at home. Looks yum! Mx

pve design said...

I think I would take this as a sign that you are "firmly planted" right where you are. Root veggies are so good for "grounding" me. Wish I could share this salad with you....one day. Looks so delish.
pve

Sarah B said...

Yum! I love beetroot and goats cheese!!
I grow beetroot in the garden and often throw them in with a roast. Yum!
Have you tried beetroot dip? That's very nice too :)

Marie (Mrs. Dalrymple) said...

I only started liking beets a few years ago and now I love them, especially roasted. Roasted beets and goat cheese are made extra yummy with pistachio oil vinaigrette and chopped pistachios drizzled over. They're also really good with a toasted cumin seed dressing and fresh mint - Moroccan style.

Gild and Grace said...

Delicious! Beetroot and goats cheese is one of my favorite combos :)
Abbey x

Unknown said...

These look yummy! I adore beets!

MrsLittleJeans said...

I have to remember this one. My friend makes an awesome beet salad with yellow and red beets, red onions, and balsamic and oil...I like it because it mutes the beet flavor. I had to eat a lot of beets when I was little and now prefer to eat it muted, like with goat cheese. xx

JMW said...

Sounds delicious! I need more of that in my diet. :)

Britt @ Dreamy Spaces said...

Oooh that look yum! I love a good greens recipe! Thanks for posting! Would def try it!

Atelier de Chiqui said...

Love beets and their greens! Mon Dieu!
XXX
Chiqui

Karena said...

Anne I love beets and had not thought of combining with goat cheese, another fave!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

debra @ 5th and state said...

LOVE roasted beets, NEVER thought of eating the greens, so if you say so.........

try a touch of orange juice to the beets and top w/goat cheese and minced pistachio nuts....yum
debra

Kate Coveny Hood said...

I love beets! Will have to try this too (just picked up some radishes today for dinner...)

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615