Wednesday, September 14, 2011

RAVISHING RADISHES



I have to share my latest passion with you, my faithful readers!
Are you ready?  It's radishes.  Yeah, I know radishes are not something most people get excited about. But, they are a great source of potassium, only 2 calories a piece and have been known to lower blood pressure. Not to mention, their skin is a very attractive color. As you've probably gathered by now, I am a foodie and therefore enjoy sampling new foods and new things with old foods.  Radishes raw make an excellent snack, but I had never tried them COOKED before. Oh my goodness, they are delicious!  All I did was heat a bit of oil (either light olive oil or canola works best) in a saute pan, trim the ends and chop the radishes in quarters lengthwise. Then sprinkle generously with Kosher salt and coarse ground pepper. Saute' for a couple of minutes and then add a little balsamic glaze until browned (about 6 minutes).  Unbelievable! I am on a root vegetable kick, so we'll see what else I can experiment with....any good tips for me?

16 comments:

pve design said...

Roasted root veggies are so good. We love mixing sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips and the tiny fingerling pototoes arranged on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season.
They are so pretty as a side dish with chicken and gobs of spinach salad.
pve

Jo said...

I love them on salads, but have never heard of cooking a radish ... until now! I'm making these rght away ~ yum.

Jo

LRC said...

I always buy radishes and never eat them. It's so wasteful, I know. This is making me want to actually eat them. Have you tried parsnips?

The enchanted home said...

Over time these have actually grown on me. I got the recipe for these with olive oil, rosemary, new potatoes and must say its quite good and makes a pretty side dish!

MrsLittleJeans said...

I love radishes too but never ever had them cooked...I am off to a new radish adventure thanks to you : )


xx

Nelle Somerville said...

I agree with PVE. Root veggies roasted are the bomb. I must cook radishes now. You are inspiring me. Yum.

Natasha @ Northern Light Design said...

Love radishes as well, but prefer Them raw! I like Them thinly sliced ontop of a thin slice of cheese....
Roots, All sorts, are quite good with a little EVO and S &P, toss on a bakingsheet and bake for a little while = yummy!!!

Karena said...

Anne I love radishes, however have Never cooked them, now I cannot wait to try this!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Come and join my Giveaway from the Jose Estevez Collection at Interieurs!

CDS said...

Radishees really are pretty. You should paint some! :)

Anonymous said...

This has nothing to do with radishes, but word on the street here in D-town is that your G'pa and Sparky have somebody's ear! We know they're both enjoying our twelve game streak and probably have a hand in it! I hope it brings a smile to your face to know how often Ernie's name is mentioned with love in the D.

Ellen

Mary Steele said...

Beatific Beets:
Wrap unpeeled fresh beets in aluminum foil and cook at 400 degrees until soft.
When you unwrap them, the skin will be easy to slide off.
Add butter, salt, and pepper ......prepare yourself for a divine experience.

Sarah said...

I love raw radishes as a snack Anne dipped in hummus - delish - but, I will have to cook them! Happy eating! ;-)

designchic said...

I'm now feeling the need to cook my radishes...can't wait to try!!

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Will have to try them cooked. I think I've only had them raw sliced up in salads.

Melissa Smith said...

Roasting in the oven (maybe not in Florida) with olive oil and sea salt is also really good - and if you are not on a health kick / the french way - raw, thinly sliced with good butter and sea salt on toast is amazing. When you saute them / also chop the tops and saute them as well - use as a garnish over the radishes. Love radishes!

Kirsten Steen said...

What a great idea! I never thought of this and since they tend to wither in the fridge, I'll be making this one. The balsamic is a nice touch.
K.

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615