Friday, March 28, 2008

MY DAD'S WORK

 I feel blessed to come from a family where I was always encouraged to be creative and expressive. Both my mom and dad used to paint and my dad still continues to sketch with pastels to this day. Here is a painting he did when he was first married in the late 60's. When I was little he had a rather unkempt beard, longish wavy hair and wire-rimmed glasses, a la John Lennon. Not exactly a hippy, but a renaissance sort of guy with a 60's social conscience. Although he no longer looks the same, he has retained his love for art, compassionate heart for people and appreciation for all things creative. He gave this painting to me recently (actually, I sorta asked for it) and I love it. I treasure owning it not only because dad created it, but because it has been around ever since I can remember and the colors just give me a lift. Maybe I just absorbed my passion for color by sheer osmosis? Thanks, Dad!

My little sister, dad and me footsore and crowd-ravaged at the Vatican a few years back. The Pope's people actually provide some surprisingly tasty pizza in the cafeteria there and that, coupled with a good old Coca-Cola, had momentarily revived us. Someone please remind me next time to forgo the decidedly ugly cross-slung dork bag (gypsies or not!!)

8 comments:

pve design said...

Anne,
So it is in the genes! How sweet!
Thanks for sharing your family talent with us.
Love the sunglass clad family!
Patricia

annechovie said...

Thanks, Patricia. I am sure you can relate! Hope you have a terrific weekend.

katiedid said...

Having art from your family is wonderful. I have a piece my Mom did (a watercolor of sailboats in Newport Harbor, our summer house)when she was in her 30's and another watercolor landscape from my sister-in-law. They mean alot don't they?

annechovie said...

Yes, Katie, they do! That's wonderful that you have those paintings in your home - they sound beautiful!

Bree said...

i love the name of your blog, it is darling!

annechovie said...

Thank you, Bree, for making my day! Have a great weekend!

cotedetexas said...

I love this! So sweet = and the painting is wonderful too. I love the picture of y'all - one is cuter than the next - and I love the purses!!!

annechovie said...

Joni~
You are too kind, as usual! Thank you. Yeah, those purses are incredibly stylish, aren't they? LOL

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615