Wednesday, October 1, 2008

LITTLE THINGS MEAN A LOT.......

A few simple objects that surround me on a daily basis that I really enjoy. Pretty shells. My pink reading glasses. Anchovy paste (yeah, it's GREAT in lots of things!) Chocolate Altoids - amazing! My business card case. A beautiful cross I bought in Florence, Italy. My favorite baseball cap I wear out to the beach, the post office, etc.

You know, sometimes you can grow kind of immune to the things that surround you in your daily life. Things that are pretty, objects that make life easier, the good things. Once in a while, it's fun to look around you and take stock of everyday things that brighten your life - simple pleasures.

Same goes for the people in our lives. We tend to take people that we love for granted, just because, well, they're always there. We don't step back and appreciate them like we should and think how they make our lives better, or what it would be like if they were no longer present. We forget to be patient or tell them we love them or give them that extra hug or thank you. I need a kick in the pants every now and then to remind me to slow down and appreciate what God has given me and the people who are a support and blessing in my life. The upside of the current dismal economy and uncertain future is that it tends to HIGHLIGHT the importance of things that have nothing to do with money - makes you think about what is really most valuable. What you would really have if everything fell apart....
What is truly most important to you?

14 comments:

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

such a beautifully thought-provoking post. i have little things like your collection that mean a lot, but when it comes down to it, it's the people in my life that truly matter.

annechovie said...

Glad you enjoyed it, Emily! I agree with you - it's the same for me...

Courtney said...

that's a great point, Anne! I know I tend to take my husband for granted, but recently he was out of town for 8 days...and let me tell you, I definitely learned just how much I appreciate him! Not just his help with the kids, but also his friendship. thanks for the great thoughts.

annechovie said...

Oh, Thank YOU, Courtney! Hope you have a great day!

Anonymous said...

There are a few things that I love to have around me (shells also), but what I most appreciate and am grateful for is yes, my relationship with my husband, and very much that I can do what I love doing (dwell in my coastal home and run my blogs). Very nice post!

Ivy Lane said...

Thanks for this reminder..put so beautifully!

Leciawp said...

What a thoughtful post.

annechovie said...

Maya, Ivy Lane and Lecia,
I so appreciate your comments! Thank you!

Rebecca Corvese said...

How profound and timeless. Thanks for making us think about the important things in life (people!).

Liza Hirst said...

How right you are, Anne! As so often...btw.
Love your collection of nice daily things, your thoughts and last but not least the beautiful picture of beautiful you!
Most important to me? My husband! My kids!

pve design said...

Leave it to you to always find simple pleasures to brighten your day. (along with countless others!)
Many people automatically think because I have the "gift" for creating art - that my art should really brighten my day but it truly is "life" -which inspires me to appreciate and be grateful for everything! For me, it is the guy "Frank" at the post office who greets me with "Good morning Sunshine" or the hug of my son who gives me hope that even in our darkest moments, there is always, always a rainbow of hope! Just a smile, and having faith keeps my motor humming.

annechovie said...

Thank you, Rebecca! Have a wonderful day!

Wonderful to hear from you, Liza! You are so sweet. Hope all is well in France.

Yes, Patricia, your attitude is inspiring. Have a great day!

Karena said...

Beautiful, beautiful post, very thought provoking. I amy have to create a little gathering of precious momentos. Loved ones and friends are really the treasures though.

annechovie said...

Hello Karena! Yes, you are right!

 
http://clickserve.cc-dt.com/link/click?lid=41000000028477615